Cookies?
Library Header Image
LSE Research Online LSE Library Services

Insights on inequality: Danny Dorling’s lecture on ‘inequality and the 1%: what goes wrong when the rich become too rich?’

Quinlan, Tara Lai (2014) Insights on inequality: Danny Dorling’s lecture on ‘inequality and the 1%: what goes wrong when the rich become too rich?’. Researching Sociology (14 Nov 2014). Website.

[img]
Preview
Text
Download (154kB) | Preview

Abstract

Danny Dorling gave a thought-provoking and insightful lecture, Inequality and the 1%: What Goes Wrong When the Rich Become Too Rich, to a packed house at LSE’s Old Theatre on 7 October 2014. Drawing on findings from his important and thoroughly researched new book, Inequality and the 1%, Dorling examined the effects of increasing UK inequality, argued that an ‘awful lot’ goes wrong when the rich become too rich and heavily concentrated in cities like London. Dorling posited that since 2008’s Great Recession, the 1% have only grown richer with a larger gap between the superrich and the other 99%. Dorling observed that in the UK the top 1% comprise the top 15% of nation’s total income, which is highly problematic.

Item Type: Online resource (Website)
Official URL: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/researchingsociology/
Additional Information: © 2014 The Author(s); Online
Divisions: Sociology
Subjects: H Social Sciences > H Social Sciences (General)
H Social Sciences > HB Economic Theory
H Social Sciences > HG Finance
H Social Sciences > HM Sociology
H Social Sciences > HT Communities. Classes. Races
H Social Sciences > HV Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology
Sets: Departments > Sociology
Collections > LSE Researching Sociology Blog
Date Deposited: 27 Jun 2017 08:27
Last Modified: 02 Jun 2020 23:22
URI: http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/id/eprint/82405

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

View more statistics